Tuesday, June 22, 2010

James McAdoo to return to high school, enroll at UNC in 2011

Remember all that talk about James McAdoo enrolling at North Carolina a year early?

Well, we can put it to rest.

"I'm going back to high school," McAdoo told Adam Zagoria. "I made that decision like a week ago."

"I was telling myself that I wanted to go to Carolina, and that I really wouldn't mind missing my senior year and the McDonald's game. But once I thought about it, its something that I really wanted to do"

Personally, I think this is the right decision. During your senior year in high school, there are a lot of experiences that are once in a lifetime. Prom, graduation, senior week, the chance to be the star of his high school. You don't want to pass those up. I would love to be able to go back to college, but I'd never give up my senior year in high school to do so.

I understand the argument for enrolling early. It's incredibly impressive that McAdoo has prepared himself physically and academically to get to college a year early. He deserves praise for that. I also understand that he would face infinitely better competition in Chapel Hill than in high school not just in games but every day in practice.

But McAdoo is too young to be able to enter the NBA Draft until next season. And based on what we have seen from Andre Dawkins and Daniel Hackett, the last two players to enroll in school early, its not a guarantee to be successful.

Finish out high school. Enjoy your senior year and senior season. Come to UNC in 2011 and dominate against your age group.

There's no need for a 17 year old kid to rush his childhood.

No comments: