- A lot of people talk about athletes as heroes, but rarely do you come across a situation where an athlete is actually "a hero". Well, Donte Greene of the Kings found himself in that exact situation. From SportsRadioInterviews.com:
What happened, Donte?- Billy Gillispie has filed a lawsuit against the University of Kentucky for $6 million. Maybe he should have just signed that contract in the first place. He is also selling his house in Lexington.
“We went down the American River, out there having fun, we were linked up with a few boats and everything. Been out there, basically all afternoon, so we were wrapping everything up, everyone was grabbing their buoys and everything, untying and trying to leave. She had let one of her friends drive her boat so she was at the back of the boat trying to pull her ladder in, and I guess she didn’t know she was back there and hit the engine and she flew off the back of the boat. So, I didn’t know, I thought she could swim, she couldn’t swim, I think I’m a swimmer, I was a lifeguard coming up in high school. So, I guess I just reacted and just jumped in, someone threw her a life preserver and I pulled her in to a boat (someone else’s) - almost got run over by one…”
What was going through your head when you jumped in?
“I didn’t even think about it, it was just instinct. You see somebody in a position and you know you can help them out. The water, I’m not even gonna lie, was freezing, freezing cold, but I was hot anyway so the water cooled me off, so that was good… It was just something that happened.”
Showing his humility about the moment he was asked to come on KHTK:
“I got the text earlier that you guys wanted to have me on and I didn’t even know what was going on, I thought a bad rumor had started. You know, these days everybody’s saying all sorts of things. No problem having me on, I’m just she’s okay and everything.”
- The Sports Agent Blog takes a look at the rules regarding college athlete/agent interaction through social networking sites.
- The WaPo catches up with new UVa coach Tony Bennett.
- John Wall pleads guilty.
- Rosters for the U-19 team headed to the FIBA World Championships, as well as the team headed to the World University games. Here is the Andy Katz take on it.
- This looks like it could be pretty good: