Saturday, March 14, 2009

Big East Tournament Live-Blog Championship Game

It is here. The finals of the Big East Tournament. I can't lie, I'm pretty exhausted - mentally and physically - from this five day, fifteen game marathon.

Tonight, Louisville is looking to lock up the #1 overall seed against a Syracuse team that, if they win, will be remembered for one of the greatest four day runs in the history of the sport.

Enjoy it folks. You can't make this stuff up.

- Its over. Louisville wins 76-66. They should now be the #1 overall seed. I am not going to stay for the ceremony. I have an 830 bus and I need some sleep. Congrats Louisville.

- I don't know if I like this decision by Boeheim to start fouling. It is working tho, as McGee just missed one as well. A loose ball ends up with a big Clark dunk. The Orange are down 10 with 1:19 left. Great effort this week, but I think the Cards got this.

- The Orange are having to resort to pressing the Cards right now. They have fouled the last two possessions and the Cards have missed free throws. A Flynn jumper cuts it to 7.

- Louisville can't put away the Orange, and I get the feeling Flynn is done. He only has 7 pooints and 6 assists. It is now 68-58 with 3 minutes left.

- Ongenaet leaks out on the Card press, and finishes a lay-up to cut it to seven. Jonny Flynn has yet to really be a factor. And Jackson misses another lay-up. Finishing at the rim has killed the Orange.

- Syracuse misses two more lay-ups. They have not been able to finish at the rim all game. The Cards are back up 10 after an Edgar Sosa free throw.

- We are at the under 12 timeout and the Cards have taken a 58-47 lead. It looks like the Cuse might have run out of gas. Williams is taking over on both ends of the floor. The L'Ville run has reached 28-11.

- Williams and Clark hit threes, and the Cards take a 54-45 lead. They are outscoring the Orange 24-7 this half.

- The Cuse missed four looks at a three, three by Rautins, and the Cards go the other way and Williams finds Clark who draws a foul. 48-43 Cards.

- 43-43 at the under 16 timeout. The Cards are 6-19 from three.

- Ongenaet has been fantastic tonight in the high post. He has four assists, all too Jackson or Onuaku on hi-lo's for dunks.

- After a McGee three, it is tied and Rautins throws away the inbounds.

- Ongenaet is back in the game. Glad he is ok. 41-38 after a Smith three.

- Williams is really active to start the half - two steals and an oIboard putback. 40-35.

- Syracuse gets a three from Rautins with 10 seconds left to take a 38-30 halftime lead. The Orange are surviving off of adrenaline right now, as they don't look to be tired. Boeheim is doing a good job rotating guys in and out.

- This game is getting sloppy. Three straight turnovers. 35-30 with 40 seconds left, but Flynn misses another lay-up. Cuse could be up 12 is the made their lay-ups.

- Ongenaet with a big dunk in transition, and he falls off of the rim and right on the back of his neck. I saw his legs moving and he is sitting up. He looks to be ok. Scary fall.

- Ville is back in man again. Rautins is ice cold. 1-5 from three.

- Preston Knowles has 12 and hits a three to open it up, but the Orange score four straight, the last two on a beautiful full court pass from Raurins to a streaking Devo. Next Possession Devo hits a three. 32-28 Cuse and this place is rocking.

- Rautins ties it with a three. 25-25 7 left.

- We are at the under 8 timeout, and Louisville has a 25-22 lead. The Cards are really clicking offensively tonight. The Cuse is handling the press pretty well when Flynn is in the game, but LVille is hitting open jumpers and passing very well. I gotta say, I think the Orange are moving a little slower defensively tonight.

- You know, I gotta agree with Jeff. I think having to beat this press every time is going to wear out the Orange. At least they can save their legs a bit in the zone.

- Jeff Newman, a Louisville fan sitting in my section, has a prediction "with 8 minutes to go in each half, the Orange will hit a wall. No legs." Jeff Newman folks.

- What a block by Harris. Flynn isn't in the game and the Orange just turned it over twice. After an ONuaku dunk it is 17-14. This game is going up and down right now.

- Rick Jackson boards a Rautins miss and dunks it forcing a L'Ville timeour. 13-12 Cards. Jackson has scored six straight.
- Wow. Louisville is going Man. I have never seen the Cards do this. Back into zone now. A Rick Jackson lay-in ends a 11-0 run.

- It is hot as hell in this gym tonight. I am sweating as I sit in my seat.

- Under 16 timeout and the Cards take a 9-6 lead.

- And as I say that the Cuse turn it over twice and Louisville scores 7 straight.

- Devo starts it off with two threes. It is loud here. Louder than Cuse UConn.

- I don't see anyway the Cuse lose this. I really don't. And I wrote earlier today how I think the Cards will win the national title.

- One thing I noticed during intros: both teams were all business. No screaming, no yelling, just all serious, extremely focused, as they shook hands with their teammates. This one is going to be a dandy. I can't remember the last time I was this excited for a game where I had no vested interest in either team.

- Legs are not going to be a factor tonight for the Orange. This place is packed with Cuse fans, and is rocking for introductions. Adrenaline alone will carry these guys.

- One thing I have noticed during this tournament - Syracuse fans, those of the female variety, are on whole the hottest group of fans.

No comments: