Thursday, June 5, 2008

6/5 - Some Links, Some News

-Apparently, USC was not OJ Mayo's first choice of colleges. According to Kansas State assistant coach Brad Underwood, Mayo was all but begging then-coach Bob Huggins to play for him at K-State because of their close ties (both are from West Virginia). Now, Huggy Bear has always had a reputation as a guy that barely skirted the legal side of recruiting, not to mention the 27% graduation rate and frequent run-ins with the law that his players had at Cincinnati. But if he wouldn't touch Mayo because "he would never pass", you have to think that Mayo was into some kind of dirt, which begs the question - what was Tim Floyd thinking?

To be honest, I could care less if these big-time athletes are getting paid. Yea, I know, it ruins the integrity of the game and these guys are supposed to be amateurs, but think about how much money they generate through ticket sales, merchandise sales, tv contracts, and apparel sponsorships. If these guys are getting a little extra coin on the side, is it really that big of a deal? Shouldn't they be getting something anyway?

-Jim Calhoun has amassed 773 career wins, but it is his still-undefeated record against cancer that is more impressive. Calhoun was found to have skin cancer on his neck and successfully had a lump removed, the second time he beat skin cancer. In 2003 he was treated for prostate cancer, but doctors say that it is unrelated. As a Huskies fan, I am hoping for the best for Jimmy C and a speedy recovery, not only because I adore the man but also so my Huskies don't end up going the way of Arizona.

-Louisville center Clarence Holloway's basketball career is over after being diagnosed with Marfan's Syndrome. Marfan's syndrome has something to do with an enlargement of the heart, which is never a good thing. On a side note, Holloway had a stress fracture his senior year in high school and didn't play many games, which may have saved his life (he hasn't actually played since his junior year in high school in 2006). Hopefully, Holloway will use the scholarship he still has at Louisville and get his degree.

-I'm getting pretty sick of hearing about Beasley's maturity issues (even I myself am a guilty party). When it comes down to it, Beasley has a right to be immature - he turned 19 years old in January. Think about what most people do when they are 19 and college freshman. Would a bunch of frat boys signing their names all over school be any surprise to anyone? Just because he is a phenomenal basketball talent does not mean he doesn't go through the same growing pains of anyone else. He has some very interesting quotes in this Miami Herald blog article:

"I just turned 19 years old in January," Beasley said. "How mature do you want me to be? I’m still a kid. I’m not 20 yet. I’m not legal. I can vote, but that’s about it. On the basketball side of things, I’m 30 years old. Off the court, I don’t know how old y’all want me to be. Do you want me to act 25? 30? 40?. I’m 19. I’m a kid. I’m going to live my life. I’m going to mess up. I don’t know as much as you do or him. I’m learning day by day. I hear a lot about character issues. But I’ve yet to hear what those character issues are. Until I hear somebody tell me, I don’t feel the need to change."
Hopefully he will figure it out, but despite his antics, he seems like a pretty good guy.

-It has been well reported that Derrick Rose's brothers insulated him from the agents, runners, and everything else that corrupts the young basketball phenoms. But the one person they allowed to talk to him was 34 year old William Wesley aka Worldwide Wes, confidant to many NBA stars, including LeBron James, Michael Jordan, Allen Iverson, and more. (if you don't know about this guy, read his wikipedia page). Wes has strong connections to John Calipari and the Memphis basketball program, and many have speculated that he is the reason that Rose ended up there. So if the Rose family kept Derrick so close, why would they let William Wesley in? I don't know, but TrueHoop's Henry Abbott has a very interesting piece on the whole situation.

-As if things weren't bad enough at Maryland, they are now hemorrhaging players. Guard Tyree Evans, an oft-troubled, 23 year old former blue chip recruit, decided not to attend (read was not let into) Maryland and center Gus Gilchrist left his second ACC school in two years. The Terps also lost anther recruit in Bobby Maze and freshman Shane Walker.

Maryland isn't the only school losing transfers. Big East members UConn (Doug Wiggins to UMass and Curtis Kelly) and Georgetown (Vernon Macklin to Florida and Jeremiah Rivers to Indiana) both had two players transfer out. On the other side of the revolving door, Notre Dame, after already adding the other Hansbrough (Ben from Mississippi State), just signed Purdue transfer Scott Martin.

Other notable transfers:
-Former California Mr. BasketballTaylor King is transferring from Duke to Villanova.
-Third team All-Big Ten guard Tony Freeman is transferring from Iowa to Southern Illinois.
-Wesley Johnson of Iowa State is transferring out of the school.
-Malcolm Grant is transferring from Villanova to Miami.
-Dwaine Williams is leaving Providence and heading to the worst major college team in the country, Oregon State.
-Kentucky's Derrick Jasper is transferring out.

No comments: