Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Nation's No. 1 recruit looking at Nevada?

Reports are starting to leak out that Nevada is in the mix to get Scout's and 247Sports' No. 1 player in the class of 2012.

It just so happens to be the wrong sport.

Arik Armstead is a behemoth of a young man. The rising senior is 6'8", 280 lb, and committed to play football at USC. The problem? He wants to play college basketball.

“I’ve been playing basketball since I was 5 years old,” Armstead told Silver and Blue Sports. “So yes, it was my first love. I’ve always been around college and NBA guys ever since I can remember.”

USC has offered Armstead, who is arguably the best two-sport prospect in the country -- ESPN ranks him as the 33rd best power forward in the country, the opportunity to play both sports in college. At USC, he would be able to play football alongside his brother, Armond.

Guss Armstead, Arik and Armond's father, is known as one of the best basketball trainers on the West Coast. He also happens to be very close with Nevada head coach David Carter, whose program was the first to offer Arik a basketball scholarship. That still resonates with the youngster.

“Nevada was my first basketball offer, and like I said my Dad has a great relationship with Coach Carter,” Armstead told Silver and Blue Sports. “They’ve been friends a long time. College basketball is something I’ve always wanted to play, so why not? That’s one of the best matches I could imagine for me.”

If Armstead, who will make an official visit to Nevada, does decide to rescind on his commitment to USC and play basketball at Nevada, I wonder in the Wolfpack's football coach will try to convince Armstead to throw on some pads and hit the gridiron?


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

He should leave his father out of his decision after all its his life. Basketball isn't for everyone and he needs to loose somethnig like thirty pounds to play college ball and become a serious possible pro prospect. But at Nevada? He must not want to attend the big dance during his college carreer.