Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Another academic scandal? This time its Arkansas

For those that don't know, Patrick Beverly was kicked out of Arkansas prior to last season. A lot of rumors kicked around for a while, and in the end most people assumed it was an academic issue.

In an interview with Jonathon Givony of Draft Express, Beverly not only cleared up exactly what the issue was with Arkansas, but he video have thrown some teammates under the bus.

Video of the interview after the jump (the good stuff happens at the 5:30 mark):



That is a pretty damning thing to say. If you didn't watch the video, Beverly said "someone at Arkansas was doing papers, was doing me and some of my teammates papers. Basically, you know, instead of ratting my team out, I just said it was just me."

He has since recanted on some of what he said. From Hawgs Illustrated:

I had a paper wrote for me and I accept full responsibility. I don’t know about everybody else and what they had going on, but I know what’s up with me ... Let me clear all this up: I don’t know who was involved. I’m going to say that. I’m going to say I know what I’ve done and I accept full responsibility. I learned from my mistakes and the past was the past. I’m living in the present now. I served my punishment.
Again, he is not exactly exonerating his teammates. UA chancellor Dave Gearhart was surprised to hear Beverly say that, and while no action could be taken against Beverly since he is no longer a student, if this proves to be true, Arkansas would "take that very seriously", according to HI.

UA's basketball program has been in a constant state of turmoil since John Pelphrey took over, with 15 scholarship players leaving the program since 2007. It is so bad there that Creighton's Dana Altman only needed 24 hours to rethink taking their head coaching position.

This Beverly incident is just another black eye for a program that has fallen a long way since the days of Scottie Thurman, Corliss Williamson, and Nolan Richardson (this shot is one of the more memorable in NCAA championship game history).

No comments: