Thursday, January 10, 2008

Roger Clemens, Steroids, and Congress

I've been trying to stay mum on the Roger Clemens issue because I love the Rocket, but with what has come to light in the last few days I feel the need to comment.

I'm sure you all have heard the phone conversation that Clemens recorded between himself and his former trainer Brian McNamee - the man that accused Clemens as well as many other current and former players of using steroids in last month's Mitchell report. Many times on this tape McNamee says to Clemens something along the lines of "Just tell me what you want me to do, and I'll do it. I don't want to go to jail, my son is sick" to which Clemens responds "I just want you to tell the truth" or something similar. Admittedly, I have not heard the tape in its entirety, only the clips that were played on Sportscenter. Using my super-human intuition, from what I heard it seems like they are discussing the upcoming Congressional hearing where both men will be under oath, and McNamee is saying he does not want to lie under oath (bad idea, just ask Barry Bonds) and Clemens is saying the only thing he can to try and clear his name. With Clemens suing and McNamee filing a countersuit, I really don't know what the hell is going on.

Personally, I feel like McNamee is telling the truth. None of the other players that McNamee snitched on has denied what he said, and some have even comfirmed his story. Clemens is 100 years old, and up until last year he was pitching like he was 25. That doesn't happen naturally, especially with power pitchers like Clemens. Finesse guys like Greg Maddux, Kenny Rogers, Jamie Moyer, and Tom Glavine can get by because they succeed by hitting their spots, using the movement on their pitches, and just outsmarting hitters. Clemens blew people away. You think someone like Johan Santana or Josh Beckett can be as successful when they lose 8 mph?

All that being said, Clemens is doing wonders convincing me otherwise. He lawyers, publicists, and whoever else are absolutely earning their salaries when I am questioning what is painfully obvious. Maybe it is just because I am a optimistic sports fan, or a die-hard pinstriper, but those seeds of doubt keep growing in my mind.

Whatever ends up happening, the most upsetting part for me is that since Congress has pushed back the date of the hearing, I will no longer be able to attend - I leave DC January 20th. Oh well.

2 comments:

Andy McKenzie said...

The fact that Clemens got no heat for steroids while Barry did really does reek of racism. Simmons made the point of this in the 2007 playoffs, but I think he was pretty much the only one to do so.

Rob Dauster said...

Clemens is getting the heat now. The rumors involving him pre-Mitchell were alot less credible than those implicating Barry.

Good point tho, I didn't even think about that.